Put People before Pokies
Petition to the NSW Parliament To the Honourable Speaker and Members of the Legislative Council of NSW.
This petition brings to the attention of the Legislative Council that:
● Pokies are the leading cause of gambling-related harm, with 75% of all gambling addictions attributed to pokies; and
● Poker machines are currently being reviewed for being in breach of Australian Consumer Law.
Put People before Pokies in New South Wales
The undersigned petitioners therefore ask the Legislative Council of NSW to:
1. Increase transparency of the gambling industry to require venue-by-venue reporting of community losses to poker machines
2. Implement laws and policies to reduce the number ofpokies in NSW, particularly in clubs and pubs.
3. Implement genuine harm minimisation strategies like $1 bet limits.